August Wrap Up & September TBR

August is over and fall is almost upon us! I am really proud of myself because I read a total of 10 books in the month of August! Take a look:



Image result for the merciless danielle vegaThe Merciless by Danielle Vega was the most graphic book I have ever read. It was filled with gore and blood, and was completely horrifying. I don’t even know how to review this book. Like, what can even say? Still, it wasn’t the best written book ever, and I gave it 3 stars.


Image result for the problem with forever book




Since I’ve been reading a lot of fantasy lately, I wanted to pick up a contemporary, which is where The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout came in. This book reminded me a lot of Simone Elkeles’ and Katie McGarry’s books, which I didn’t mind. I gave this one 4 stars.


See my review here




Next I read In The Path of Falling Objects by Andrew Smith. Honestly, I have no interest in the plot of this, and only read it because it was the only Andrew Smith book I hadn’t read. This book was everything I expected it to be, though it wasn’t my favorite and received 3 stars from me.


See my review here




Rebel Spring by Morgan Rhodes was one of the books that I really wanted to read this month. I loved Falling Kingdoms, the first book in the series, and this book did not disappoint me at all. I loved it, and am currently reading the third book, Gathering Darkness. 5 stars here.


See my review here




I had really never heard of The Crown’s Game by Evelyn Skye until my librarian (shout out to Traci) gave me a copy of it. In my opinion, this was a really original fantasy book, and I like how incorporated our history into it. I also appreciated how realistic the magic was laid out. I look forward to the next one, and gave this book 4 stars.
See my review here



I read Most Dangerous by Steve Sheinkin because it was the book of the month for my book club at my local library. While it’s not a book I would usually read, I am glad I read it. Before, I had never heard of Daniel Ellsberg or the release of the Pentagon Papers, and this book really opened my eyes. I gave Most Dangerous 4 stars.
Image result for highly illogical behavior


I am a huge fan of John Corey Whaley, so of course I had to pick up his new book Highly Illogical Behavior. This is a really quick read, and is super interesting. I thought it offered a really honest perspective of mental illness that the author wrote from his personal experience. 4 stars.


See my review here




I went into And I Darken expecting a fantasy, but instead I got a historical fiction. Apparently, this is a retelling of Vlad the Impaler, except Vlad is a girl named Lada. I did enjoy a lot of the topics that this book addressed, but I didn’t really get into it until halfway through, so I gave it 3 stars.


See my review here



To be honest, the only reason I read Dark Night: A True Batman Story is because I was promised a gift card in exchange for a review. I’ve never really read graphic novels, and this one definitely wasn’t for me. However, it did offer a very honest account of physical assault. I gave it 2 stars.


See my review here




I’ve been a huge fan of Jennifer Niven since I real All The Bright Places, so I jumped at the chance to get an ARC of Holding Up The Universe. This was a really quick read for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I did feel like the story was trying to be too inspirational, so I gave it 3 stars.


See my review here



September is going to be an interesting month for reading. I start school, as well as my position on the Teen Board for Teenreads.com, so my reading schedule is going to be off. I do hope to get through at least 6 books- let me show you some of them!


Andrew Smith is coming to my library next month, and my book club this month is reading The Alex Crow by him. I have already read this, but it was almost two years ago, so I want to reread it to freshen my memory.







I also plan to read 100 Sideways Miles by Andrew Smith. Again, I have already read this, but it’s been so long I don’t remember most of it.






I know, the cover for Chasing Truth by Julie Cross is really bad. But you can’t judge a book by it’s cover! This is one of the books I’m reading for Teenreads.com, so I will for sure be reading it this month.






This is the second book I will be reading for Teenreads.com this month. Ripple by Heather Smith Meloche actually sounds pretty good, and I am exciting to pick it up.







The Weight of Zero by Karen Fortunati comes out in October, so I want to get a review out for it in September. I am pretty excited for this story since it deals with a girl’s struggle with bipolar disorder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)