Best Books of 2016

The year 2016 was a big year for me, book wise. I started Reanna's Book Realm, and became a reviewer for Teenreads.com. I met my all-time favorite author, Andrew Smith, and found some new favorite authors, like Adam Silvera. This year, I also read 94 books! Here is my list of the top ten book I read this year for the first time. They weren't all necessary five stars, but they were the books that stood out the most to me.



Before I read Tweak, I knew nothing about Nic Sheff. I had read his debut novel, Schizo, and really enjoyed it, but that book didn’t really give me any insight of who he, as a person, was. I still wouldn’t today, if this book wasn’t sitting at the used bookstore in the middle of March, when I couldn’t find anything to read. Right away, I fell in love with how he wrote about his life, which was so raw and open. Keep in my mind, this isn’t a light read, but a story that will stick with you forever.


See my review here


I had no idea I would love We Are The Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson, or else I would’ve probably read it much sooner in the year. I think one of the reasons I was so hesitant to read it was because I thought it be a really heave science-fiction book, which it totally isn’t. Well, it is science-fiction, but it’s also a book about everything else in the world, especially mental health issues. Even though it’s hugh (400+ pages), I flew through it, and loved all of it.


See my review here


MIND. BLOWN. Hands down, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe was my favorite book of the year. AHHH so good. But seriously, you might be feeling a little down about the state of the world right now, and this book could be the cure for you (at least for a little bit). This book is so pure and sweet and good and bad and beautiful and I really, really want you to read it.


See my review here





Tell The Wolves I’m Home was the first book I read in 2016, and one of the firsts adult book I’ve ever read. While I’ve struggled with adult books before, I really enjoyed this one. For one, the narrator is a teenage girl. Two, the author, Carol Rifka Brunt, did a fantastic job of writing a 1980s world so that I felt like I was immersed in the culture. Third, the story has an excellent message communicating the devastating effects AIDS has one everyone, and why we need to take every measure to address. I would recommend this for anyone who wants to get in adult fiction.


See my review here




Before I even had read reviews on Still Life With Tornado, or before it was even out, I knew it would be good. Why? Because Andrew Smith told me so. Now, I know that doesn’t sound like a good answer, but I trust Andrew Smith with just about everything. And, this book totally lived up to the hype Andrew Smith gave this book. I completely loved Still Life With Tornado, and could really relate to the main character. I also liked that there wasn’t any romance in this book, and just focused on the main character’s journey.


See my review here



I never knew about the Falling Kingdoms series before I went searching for fantasy suggestions this year. Within fifty pages of the first book, Falling Kingdoms, I was hooked. I have flown through all the novels out, and I love how the series mixes fantasy and politics. The fifth one, Crystal Storm, just released, and I am look forward to reading it in 2017.





I’ve been a fan of Trevor Noah ever since he took over The Daily Show a few years ago. I didn’t even know he released a biography until I was given it to review from my library. At first, I thought it would take me awhile to get through it, but I enjoyed it so much I read it pretty. Not only did I learn from this book that Trevor Noah’s a cool guy, but I learned a lot about South African history and social issues.  







Adam Silvera has always been everywhere on my Twitter, and I’ve developed a major crush on him. Finally, I decided to read More Happy Than Not, his debut, and I loved it. I really liked the issues it touched, especially since Adam Silvera said he tried to write this book thinking about what would’ve happened if he came out at sixteen. I am so excited for his new book, History Is All You Left Me, and will be reviewing it for Teenreads.com this month.


See my review here





Ever since I read Everything, Everything in 2015 when it came out, I have been excited for The Sun Is Also A Star. I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of it, and read it instantly. Overall, I was super impressed. This book tackled so many issues in America’s society, including inter racial relationships, immigration, and masculinity roles. I will definately be recommending this a lot in 2017.


See my review here




I already had my list of favorite books in 2016 before I read A List of Cages. After I read it, I knew I had to put it on here. I wasn’t expecting much from this book, but I was blown away. I really liked that this book was focused on a friendship, but also addressed some really dark issues that need to be talked about. This one comes out in ten days, and I highly suggest you go pick it up.

See my review here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)