Tell The Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (2012)



Image result for tell the wolves i'm homeIn 1987, the AIDS epidemic is at an all time. With that, the stereotypes around AIDS are believed as facts, and a cure is nowhere in sight, and the toll of AIDS is taking it’s effect on the world, especially June’s. June has always had an important relationship with her uncle Finn, a famous painter, and as soon as he gets the debilitating disease, her whole world is thrown. Within a year, Finn is gone, leaving June a portrait of herself titled “Tell The Wolves I’m Home”. As June mourns the death of her uncle and best friend, her family begins unraveling, with her sister going missing for periods of time and her parents are moving farther and farther away from the real world. And, just as June is starting to come to terms with Finn’s death, Finn’s long- time partner introduces himself to June, someone she never knew existed. Suddenly, everything she thought she knew about her uncle diminishes, and a new life of his is revealed, filled with antiques, love, and the truth about the disease that killed him. Left with a twisted tale of who her uncle truly was, June is determined to uncover the secrets of her family before they completely fall apart.
Alright, so this was incredibly well-written, and the fact that it was in the 80s only helped. I honestly never realised how much plot devices like text messaging and online conversations took from a story, until I read Tell The Wolves I’m Home, which was set in an era that didn’t allow for those devices. Speaking of the era, I felt like Carol Rifka Brunt did a wonderful job describing the vibes surrounding the 80s. Every time I read from this book, I felt like I was time traveling to a place where our modern world began to unravel. And, while this book isn’t filled with dragons, fights, and spaceships, the plot always stayed interesting. I thought maybe there would be one or two secrets that would be revealed, but I was constantly shocked with every turn the plot took. Every character experienced their own growth, even the ones that didn’t have a huge part of the story, which definitely reveals how a family can affect each other, no matter their relationship. So, while these are all great aspects, and you should definitely read this book (!!!), my favorite part of the book was that fact that it was the truth. There was no sugar-coating the situation, or a happy ending that wasn’t realistic, but it was always relatable.
An unexpected joy, Tell The Wolves I’m Home is one that meant for the masses.

5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)