2017 October Wrap Up + November TBR

I’ve been on a role the past few months. I’ve been reading between 7-10 books every month and have been up-to-date on all the new releases. This month was different. I am deep into my first term of college and only got through 5 books during the month of October. Of course, I have opinions on all of them. Here they are:


First I read Goodbye Days by Jeff Zentner. I was really anticipating this one since I read The Serpent King, also be Jeff Zentner, which I enjoyed immensely. However, I was super disappointed in this one. Despite being realistic fiction, this book was anything but and just boring. I gave it 2 Stars.


Read my review here

Next I re-read/listened to Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell. While I enjoyed reading it the first two times, I found this book extremely problematic the this time. I found major problems with how race, relationships, and mental illness was portrayed. Still, since because I’ve loved it so much in the past, I gave it 3 Stars.


Read my review here

Caraval by Stephanie Garber was another book I was anticipating reading. Ever since it came out earlier this year it’s been all over and I finally decided to read it. Unfortunately, this was another one I was disappointed with. It wasn’t that is was a bad book, but that I was expecting so much from it while it turned out just to be ordinary. I gave it 3 Stars.


Read my review here


It took some bucking up to, but I also tackled A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab this month, the sequel to A Darker Shade of Magic. This series consists of long, dense, and complicated fantasy books that are always a challenge. Overall, I did enjoy this one but not as much as the first. 3 Stars.



Lastly, I reread/listened to City of Bones and I think I will forever love this book. Throughout the years, I have read the book multiple times and have always enjoyed it. It was super nice to be able to listen to this on the bus ride to and from school everyday and I will definitely be listening to the next one. 4 Stars.


Read my review here

I didn’t quite get through my October TBR, though I am currently reading The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stievater, a book I did want to get to. I am keeping my TBR low this month since finals are coming up, but I do have two I want to get to.


I know for sure that Dear Martin by Nic Stone is going to be my next read. I have heard nothing but praise for this book since it came out, specifically from Angie Thomas, who wrote The Hate U Give, one of my favorites of the year. All I really know about this book is that it deals with racial profiling and police brutality, something I’m always looking to learn more of.




For the longest time I had no interest in reading Autoboyography because I thought it would be incredibly silly based on the title. However, I was just watching a review for it last night on YouTube and became super interested. It’s going to be a little hard to read it this month since I have to wait for it from the library but I am definitely reading it soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)