2017 September Wrap Up + October TBR

So I just counted and it looks like I’ve read 11 books in the month of September! Part of it is that I just got into audio books and listened to 4 this month and read a graphic novel, which I flew through. Still, that means I got through six novels on top of college, something I’m really proud of! Check them out:


First I read/listened to Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. This has been on my TBR forever so I’m really glad I got to finally read it especially since I enjoyed it so much. It was great to be back in the world of Shadowhunters and catch up on the story of Julian and Emma. 4 Stars


Read my review here


I got a chance to read the ARC of Girls Made of Snow and Glass from Netgalley next. Overall, it was just an okay book for me. It’s a retelling of Snow White that has underlying themes of feminism, which I enjoyed. However, I didn’t really care about the story and the writing wasn’t great. 3 Stars



Read my review here

Ever since its release The Gentleman’s Guide for Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee has been getting crazy hype, so I was expecting a lot from this book. While it was good, I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I wanted too. Still, I was addicted to the story and gave it 4 Stars.


Read my review here



One of my wonderful librarians gave me a ARC copy of Warcross by Marie Lu to read a couple days before it came out. This book is jam packed with technology speak and girl power, two things that always go together in my mind. I also really liked the interesting power plays in this book and also gave it 4 Stars.

Read my review here


Next I listened to Shatter Me, which had the most annoying narrator I’ve ever heard in my entire life. I originally read this book in 2012 and wanted to refresh my mind on the story because three more books in the series are coming out. I enjoyed it less the second time but still plan on picking up the sequel soon.


Read my review here


I decided to give Victoria Schwab one last chance and read her adult novel A Darker Shade of Magic. I am glad to say I liked it so much better than her young adult novels. The magic system was unique but confusing at times. I also like the arc of the characters but felt they were overall undeveloped so I gave it 4 stars.


Read my review here


I finally got to pick up the fifth book in the Falling Kingdom series, Crystal Storm. Unfortunately, it seems like this series is going downhill. I loved the first two, thought the next two were good, but this one was just okay. I had to drag myself through the story and since it had been so long since I read the last one I was confused at times. 3 Stars


Next I listened to The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater. This was another reread for me and I really liked it. For some reason, I gave up this series a while ago but wanted to get back into it. The magical realism aspects were super cool and I liked how all the loose ends wrapped up. I gave this one 4 stars.


Read my review here


 
I was in the mood for something short so I read the graphic novel Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story. Margaret Sanger is the founder of Planned Parenthood and is someone I know a lot about. If I didn’t, this book would’ve been beyond confusing. It was patchy and not readable so I gave is 2 Stars.



The Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera was my most anticipated read of 2017 and I am overall happy with it. Originally, I had given this book a lower rating but as I was writing the review I realized how much I loved it. I still had some problems, yet it still deserves at least 4 Stars.
Read my review here


Lastly, I got to listen to one of my favorite books of all time, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz. I got to much out of the audiobook and loved the voice of Lin-Manuel Miranda. I just love Ari and Dante and my heart is full. Obviously 5 stars.


Read my (outdated) review here


College is definitely getting the best of me write now with homework. I am in the middle of two books but I barely have anytime to read. So, my TBR list is pretty short considering I’ll be happy if I just get through some books.



I only really want to get to The Dream Thieves, sequel to The Raven Boys. I think this would be a really fun book to read around Halloween and I really want to get back into the story soon. I might even listen to the audiobook for this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)