Book Playlist #1

Over the years, I’ve been really enjoying seeing people create playlists to go with book they’ve read! Sometimes, authors even do it with their own book. Last month, I created a Because You Love To Hate Me Playlist and I had so much fun that I thought I would make one for books I’ve read lately! Here it is!

History Is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera- “Ferrari” by The Neighbourhood
I read History Is All You Left Me during the dreary weeks of January which just added to this very depressing (but beautiful) novel. At the same time, I was really into the album Washed Out! By The Neighbourhood. “Ferrari” has a dark tone to match the book and is about two people who are in a toxic relationship but also need each other. These lyrics explain it all:

“You're LA and I'm Newbury Park
But you’re the flame I use when it gets dark
You've got enough pain for both of us
I've got all these things I'm focused on
You treat all the rules like you're the queen
But you and I are few and far between”

Not only do the lyrics match the book perfectly, they’re also geographically correct with the story line. Listen to it here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi7CXHzbrQ

Carry Me Like Water by Benjamin Alire Saenz- “My Love” by Sia
It took me over six months to get through Carry Me Like Water which is why it took me so long to read it. I super enjoyed it, but it was really heavy, focusing a lot on how the separation of families and the AIDS epidemic affects a group of friends. I like to think this is a song specifically for Jacob and his partner (who I totally forgot the name of).

“Today you will sleep away
You will wait for me, my love
Now I am strong (now I am strong)
You gave me all
You gave all you had, and now I am whole.”

Okay, this is also a song from a Twilight soundtrack but in fairness all those soundtracks deserve Grammys. Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtM_cc4SPJI

The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner- “Morning Sound” by Grizzly Bear
The Serpent King is both a really light, easy contemporary to read and also a really heavy book. Each set of characters (I take that back, only Travis and Dill have real problems) that were so relatable. Dill was dragging around such a heavy weight just like Travis, both were best friends, but neither told each other how much pain they were in. I think these lyrics match them perfectly:

“I stare at the face
Looking through my eyes
I move at a pace
That I cannot survive
I'm hauling away
I do it all the time
Let love age
And watch it burn out and die”


Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor- “11:11” by Local Natives
I’ve said this before, but my favorite romance ever lives in Strange the Dreamer. Lazlo was just so sweet and tender and was so endearing to Sarai. At the same time, Sarai wonderment toward Lazlo and the human world was such a joy. Their romance was THE BEST, especially since there was always the question of whether or not it was real. For that, I pair this book with “11:11”.

Goddess of my lazy summer
Perfect days, blur together
Waiting outside pearly gates
Liquored up, full of care
At 11:11, lift your head
finally burn skin it down
If I'm still in love in the morning.
If I'm still in love in the morning
Can we wake up somewhere, somehow.
If I am still in love in the..
If I'm still in love in the morning”


Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare- “Monsoon” by Hippo Campus
Lady Midnight tells a love story with a worse fate than Romeo & Juliet. Julian is helplessly in love with his best friend and parabatai Emma and the consequences could be more than disastrous if he acts on his feelings. Coincidentally, Emma is realizing she also has feelings for Julian. This is why “Monsoon” by Hippo Campus is perfect. It tells the story from the point of view of someone who is in love with another person by missed their chance to be with them. I cannot choose any specific lyrics but the song as a whole could not fit the situation Julian and Emma are in more. Listen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LWsT7kqVoE

At the Edge of the Universe by Shaun David Hutchinson- “Replaceable” by Sevdaliza
Ozzie has a really complication relationship status in At the Edge of the Universe. He’s totally committed to his boyfriend Tommy, except Tommy doesn’t exist to anyone anymore and Ozzie is the only one who remembers him. At the same time, he’s falling for this boy Calvin but to be with Calvin he has to let go of his memories with Tommy. In “Replaceable”, Sevdaliza talks about commitment that can destroy you:

“My darling
You love him
Clocks ticking
Don't waste your time

It would be selfish
To leave him
But you are destined
Don't waste your time

They come, they go
So replaceable
As long as your own river flows”

If you’re reading this you’ve made it to the end of this post! Thanks for reading! What music do you think of when you read your favorite books? I hope to make another playlist soon, as I really enjoyed making this post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)