2017 August Wrap Up & September TBR

Heyyy! It’s been a minute since I did a Wrap Up & TBR… I think the last one I did was in December. Mostly because for the first half of the year there wasn’t really anything to wrap up on. I was in a huge reading slump and was working super hard to graduate high school a year early (which I did!). Before starting college in the fall I’ve been really focused on reading and got through seven books in the month of August and there’s still four days in the month so I might even finish one more! Here’s a list of them!

First I got my hands on Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor. To say the least, it was absolutely fantastic. This book is about 500 pages, so it’s pretty huge but I loved every page. The magic throughout was unique to Laini Taylor and was well crafted. There was also a really tender romance that was a joy to read. Obviously 5 stars!

Read my review here



When We Collided was easily my most disappointing read of 2017 and maybe my least favorite book ever. Emery Lord, without any experience of a specific mental illness chose to write a book about that specific mental illness and ended up pushing dangerous stereotypes, earning this book 1 Star.

Read my review here



I reviewed We Now Return to Regular Life by Martin Wilson for Teenreads.com and it ended up being a pleasant surprise. I had no idea what to expect with this book but I was sucked into it from the beginning. I flew through it in two days and gave it 5 Stars.

Read my review here







Next I read Crooked Kingdom, the sequel to Six of Crows, which I read in June. I enjoyed the first one and gave it 4 Stars but I LOVED this one. This one focused on two of my favorite characters, Jesper and Wylan, and was so action packed. Constantly there were twists and turns and I almost expected none of them. It also offered a great conclusion to the duology and got 5 Stars from me.

See my review here

I was so excited to read Snow Like Ashes ever since I saw it on the shelves at Barnes & Noble. Unfortunately, it fell totally flat for me. The world wasn’t developed and it was full of tropes and ended up delivering unoriginal characters. By the end, I had a hard time getting through it and gave it 2 Stars.

See my review here




I finally gave into the hype and read This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. I was pretty hesitant since I haven’t liked her work before and after reading this, I can officially say I gave Victoria Schwab a shot. While the story was pretty cool, I wasn’t impressed with the writing. August, one of the characters, saved this book for me and I gave it 3 Stars.

See my review here

Lastly, I just finished Symphony for the City of the Dead, a biography about the Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich and his life under the dictator Stalin. I read this book for my book club, which does a non-fiction book every August. For some reason I never learned about this book in high school, so the book was both educational and really interesting. I like how easy it was to read and awarded it 4 Stars.





September is my last month of freedom before starting college and I have a lot of books I want to read and I’ll list a few here:


Currently, I’m listening to the audiobook of Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. This book is a behemoth, which is the main reason I haven’t read it in the past. I’m renting the audiobook and it’ll expire in a week but hopefully I’ll be far enough in it that I can read the rest in paper form.






The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue sounds like such a fun and light book! I’ve been reading a lot of heavy fantasy lately, so it’ll be nice to different type of book. I’ve also been seeing so many reviews praising this book, making it a top priority.









I have an ARC of Warcross by Marie Lu, coming out September 5th. I definitely want to have a review of it when it comes out! I have no idea what this book is about but I know it’s already being praised, plus the cover is beautiful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)