A Million Worlds With You by Claudia Gray (2016)



*A Million Worlds With YOU is the third book in the Firebird trilogy by Claudia Gray

During the past few months, Marguerite’s life has been anything but ordinary. First, he father was kidnapped and held in another dimension, and then her boyfriend’s, Paul, soul was split and hid away in four different universes. Only through her parent’s invented device, the Firebird, has she been able to rescue them. Except, Paul is experiencing trauma from having his soul put back together, and it seems like he will never heal. At the same time, the Home Office, the universe responsible for Marguerite’s problems, show no sign of backing down. In their world, they are fighting for one thing: to get Josie’s, Marguerite’s sister, soul pieced back together, which has been split through millions of dimensions. Their only hope to do this is to destroy all the universes where Josie’s soul lingers, and they need Marguerite to do it, and in return, they won’t destroy her universe. But Marguerite has been to many universes, and have met people in each that have changed her life. Time is ticking, though, and Marguerite needs to figure out if her life is worth destroying millions of other worlds.
A Million Worlds With You is the third book in the Firebird trilogy, which starts off with A Thousand Pieces of You, and then goes on to Ten Thousand Skies Above You. I originally read A Thousand Pieces of You back in spring of 2014, so I’ve been with this trilogy for over two years. I really enjoyed the first and second one, and I was thrilled when I got the opportunity to read this one. Not to mention, they all have gorgeous covers that should get a five star rating on its own.
Even though I only read the second one about six months ago, it took me a long time in this book to remember everything that happened. Usually, it bugs me when a book recaps what happened previously, but I realized I could’ve really used some more recapping in this one. I also found a major difference between this book and the last two. In the last two books, I found the science factor of the plot to be really understandable, and even enjoyable, even though science is far from my favorite subject. However, in this one, I found the science aspects to be over my head. A huge part of Marguerite is that, while she is not a scientist, she has been surrounded by scientists her whole life, and because of that knows a lot more about science than the average person. So, even though some things were harder for her to understand, she got by with a much smaller explanation of things than what I need. I also found that the rules of the multi-verse weren’t really followed in this book, and it left me with a lot of plot holes.
One thing that I really liked, and something that I have liked about all the books, is that it has so many stories inside the main one. It was really fun to see the lives of the other Marguerite’s, but it also gave great character development. Essentially, every version of Marguerite, or Theo or Paul for the matter, were part of the same overall person. In this platform, I was able to see how the character’s reacted in so many different situations, which I really appreciated. From the point of view of someone with a disability, I also super enjoyed that in one of the universes, Marguerite that was disabled. Since we have a really limited amount of characters with disabilities in YA, I was overjoyed that this book offered one. I also think it highlighted how different lives are with and without disabilities, and that whether you like it or not, the do affect your life.
In the whole Firebird trilogy, A Million Worlds With You was my least favorite, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The ending was definitely satisfying, and in general, the trilogy introduced a breath of fresh air.

3 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)