Fall 2016 Reading Guide

Fall is here! Are you thinking about pumpkin spice lattes, carving pumpkins, and jumping in leaf piles? I sure am. Over the year I’ve read some books that just scream “fall” to me, and I wanted to share the with you! Here we go:



Of course, I had to say the Harry Potter series as the first recommendation. I mean, you can’t get any more magical than this. All the books also have story lines that go along with Halloween and Christmas, so it’s perfect to get you in the mood for the holidays. I’m re-reading the first right now, and just finished the newest one!




Even though I read These Shallow Graves in the spring, I can’t help but think it would be a perfect read for fall. As you could probably tell from the title, there is a lot of mystery in this book, and maybe it’s just me, but the fact that it takes place in the 1800’s makes just that much more suspenseful. The book also has a lot of chilling imagery that is perfect for dark, cloudy, fall nights.


See my review here



Want to read something as chilling as American Horror Story? If you do, the The Merciless is your book. Don’t let the pink cover fool you, this book is anything but safe. Chronicling four teenage girls performing an exorcism on the fifth, this book is full of blood and gore, and is probably one of the most terrifying books I’ve read. Read at caution.






With that cover alone, everyone should want to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. But, if that’s not enough, let me tell you about the book. The story already starts of with a creepy vibe, with Mara and her friends breaking into an abandoned insane asylum, which crumbles with them in it. Mara is the only one who survives, miraculously unharmed, which wasn’t just a coincidence. Already giving creepy vibes, right? This has been one of my favorite fall reads for ages, and I actually got a chance to meet the author in Fall 2012.




Basically any Cassandra Clare book will put you in the Halloween spirit. All of her books are about Shadowhunterrs, supernatural species she created that are mean to keep peace between the mortal world and the magical. My favorite series by her is The Infernal Devices, which just like These Shallow Graves, takes place in the 1800s. Her next series in The Mortal Instruments, which does connect to the previous series, but do not have to be read together. And, just this year, she released a new series.






Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is a super fun and original book. Like the cover? The book is filled with eye twisting pictures like the cover. I don’t know how to explain this book because there’s so much going on, but know that it’s excellent! And, the movie based on this book just released yesterday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)