Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (2010)

Tessa believe she’s human, and she has every reason too. Born in late 1800s England, she moved to America, where she grew with her aunt and older brother Nate, after her parents passed away. However, once they grow up, Nate moves back to England, and after six weeks of no contact, sends Tessa a single ship ticket to London. After arriving there, instead of meeting Nate, she is captured by the Dark Sisters, who reveal her true power: she can shapeshift, which is just to the advantage to the Dark Sisters. They plan to give her to the Magister, who plans to marry her, even though no one actually knows who the Magister is. Lucky for her, Tessa is rescued right before she is handed into the Magister by the Shadowhunters Will and Jem. Quickly, the throw her into the protection of the London Institute, where the livelihood of Tessa is questioned. They know she isn’t human, but they don’t know what she is, either. But all this is put to the side as the Magister’s plan is revealed: a clockwork army is coming, and Tessa is in the heart of it.
So this was my third time reading the book, along with the rest of the Shadowhunter books written by Cassandra Clare. That being said, I am very familiar with the world of this book. Because that, I wasn’t very confused with the terms in the book. However, I realised that if I wasn’t, I would’ve very confused, which I remember feeling the first time I read it. Don’t get me wrong, the world-building in this book is wonderful, but it does come fast. Therefore, I would recommend reading The Shadowhunter’s Codex first. Still, reading it again made me realize how much I love this book again. The characters are so complex- with every page, you learn something new about the characters, and I have to say, I totally swoon over Jem. And, even though basically everyone and their mother’s are writing paranormal books, this one’s totally original. No one else has ever done Shadowhunters, it’s a unique idea to Cassandra Clare, and possibly my favorite group of paranormal people, ever. Even though this book took place in the late 1800s, you could swear the Shadowhunter’s society takes place now. Even though they still had an underlying current than women were less capable than men (which there still is now, unfortunately), they were totally forward thinking on their views of marriage and sexuality.
Original, thrilling, and action pact, the Shadowhunters are here to slay the fantasy world.


5 STARS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Andrew Smith (Probably) Saved My Life

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stievater (2012)

Still Life With Tornado by A.S. King (2016)